Sunday, March 30, 2014

RM 147 MILLION FOR 1 VIOLA IS MUSIC TO THE SELLER'S EARS FOR SURE!

KEE@FSWMAG.COM

If I have RM 147 million in loose change, I will NOT buy this viola but pay an entire orchestra to play for me in my mansion whenever I feel like it! Maybe I cannot sleep so I can pay an entire orchestra to play lullabies to me till I doze off and they can quietly sneak away. RM 147 million can buy me quite a few orchestras also as I can pay their monthly salaries just to perform for me if and when I like! But then I have often been accused of being a philistine...

SOTHEBY’S TO OFFER THE FINEST STRADIVARI VIOLA IN EXISTENCE

Estimated to Sell in excess of US$45 Million / HK$351 Million

-  Public Exhibition in Hong Kong  -
4 April 2014
Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre

  Sotheby’s and Ingles & Hayday announced today that they are to offer for sale the finest viola in existence – the ‘Macdonald’ Viola by Antonio Stradivari (1644 – 1737) – in a sealed bid process this Spring.  Stradivari’s name has become synonymous with perfection in the field of musical instruments. Of all the instruments made by him, violas are by far the rarest – only ten survive, while his output during his long career included 600 violins and 50 cellos.

  A Stradivari viola is the ultimate prize for collectors and the ‘Macdonald’ of 1719 is one of only two violas made during Stradivari’s ‘Golden Period’ (1700 – 1720), which saw the production of his finest instruments.  In terms of condition, beauty of appearance and playing quality, the ‘Macdonald’ is without peer.


The viola will be offered through a sealed bid process, with bids expected in excess of US$45 million / HK$351 million*.  It will also be exhibited for public viewing on 4 April 2014 during Sotheby’s Hong Kong Spring 2014 Sales Series at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.

David Redden, Sotheby’s Vice Chairman, commented: “Every field is defined by one outstanding masterpiece which casts its shadow not only on its own domain but far beyond. The instruments of Stradivari are in a class of their own among the pinnacles of human craftsmanship and the ‘Macdonald’ Viola stands at the unquestioned summit.”


Tim Ingles, Director of Ingles & Hayday, commented: “The finest of all Stradivari violas is generally agreed to be the ‘Macdonald’ of 1719. It is immaculately preserved. No Stradivari viola has been on the market for the last fifty years so this is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Below please find a link to a video which features fast-rising star violist David Aaron Carpenter performing on the ‘Macdonald’ Viola:

No comments: