Sunday, April 7, 2019

READ RUTH PRETTY'S NEWS BULLETIN---IT'S ALWAYS A FUN, GOOD READ FROM ONE OF THE WORLD'S BEST COOKS AND MY FAVORITE NEW ZEALANDER! I VISITED HER SPRINGFIELD HOME BEFORE SO I CAN VOUCH RUTH PRETTY (YES PRETTY IS HER HUSBAND'S REAL SURNAME) IS ALL SHE IS BAKED OUT TO BE!

KEE@FSWMAG.COM

A Glass of Wine
No Images? Click here

Ruth Pretty Catering

I loved to cook and muck around in the kitchen when I was a child. It was a way of hanging out with Mum and I enjoyed the praise for being helpful. My mother was a great cook and gave me hints and tips which I still use even today. 
For example to make non lumpy gravy in the roasting pan use a fish slice to combine the flour with the fat. By the time I was eight I was given salad duty which included cutting iceberg lettuce, hard boiling eggs, grating carrot (ouch) and mixing the Highlander mayonnaise. 
At the Ruth Pretty base every school holidays we hold children’s cooking classes. We initially cut the ice with Nana’s Big Day Out in our Garden Room designed for small children and grandparents. 
The littlies would decorate cupcakes, watch us make popcorn and enjoy food quizzes. A question I may never ask again was “What does your Nana order when she takes you to a cafe?” The little girl answered, “A glass of wine.” 
This special event developed into Kids in the Kitchen hands on classes in our commercial kitchen building. This month’s kids’ class, the 21st class in the series, is a party style brunch which will take 7 to 12 year olds through muffins, pancakes and smoothies. See details... Parents wait and see: you could be rewarded over the Easter weekend.
There are many children who have been to Kids in the Kitchen over the years so timely to amp it up for the older set. A whole new series Teens in Tune-Up for 13 to 17 year olds. Grown up stuff to include knives, steak and fries.  
And just because everyone loves it… both kids and teens will still finish their day with Ruth Pretty Ice Cream and a Chocolate Fountain. Which reminds me to tell you some likes and dislikes I have noted: chocolate fountain must only ever be milk chocolate, 95% of children do not like sultanas, raisins or currants and many kids cite sushi as their favourite food. 
And to the wine drinking Nana if you are reading this newsletter, please contact me, as I would like to offer you two complementary places to our very special How to High Tea: 50 Shades of Rose?  You (and me) definitely deserve a glass or two of wine. 
I am often asked for recipes. Dishes which have been enjoyed at events or published recipes which have been lost.  The recipes at the end of this newsletter are some of those.
Best wishes,
Ruth
Ruth Pretty
















No comments: