Sotheby’s Hong Kong Continues Dominance
Of Chinese Works of Art Market
Top Prices Achieved 7 April 2015
NICHOLAS CHOW IS SOTHEBY'S ASIA IS DEPUTY CHAIRMAN BUT LOOKS LIKE MOVIE STAR. HE HOLDS THE VASE FROM SOUTHERN SONG DYNASTY THAT SOLD FOR RM 53 MILLION!
A Guan Vase, Southern Song Dynasty
(Expected to fetch in excess of HK$60 million / US$7.7 million)
Sold at HK$113.9 million / US$14.6 million
To Shanghai Long Museum, one of eight bidders
*Third Highest Price for Song Ceramics at Auction*
SOTHEBY'S ASIA DEPUTY CHAIRMAN NICHOLAS CHOW HOLDING THE IMPERIAL SEAL OF WHITE JADE THAT SOLD FOR RM 49 MILLION
An Imperial White Jade ‘Yongzheng Yubi Zhi Bao’ Seal
With original Ivory-inlaid Box and Cover, Qing Dynasty
(Est. HK$30 – 40 million / US$3.8 – 5.1 million*)
Contested by 9 Bidders and Sold for HK$104.9 million / US$13.5 million
· Significant results on 7 April morning for Sotheby’s Hong Kong’s 4-day Spring Sales (still in progress):
Guan – From a Japanese Collection: HK$113.9 million / US$14.6 million
Imperial Porcelain and Works of Art from a Hong Kong Private Collection: HK$43 million / US$5.5 million
Yongzheng – The Age of Harmony and Integrity (including the white jade seal): HK$361 million / US$46 million
· The current World Auction Record for Song Ceramics was set by an Outstanding Ru Guanyao Lobed Brush Washer, Northern Song Dynasty, sold at Sotheby’s Hong Kong for HK$207,860,000 / US$26.65 million on 4 April 2012.
The second highest price for Song Ceramics was the Clark Ding Basin From The Collection of Sakamoto Gorō, sold at Sotheby’s Hong Kong for HK$146.8 million / US$18.8 million 8 April 2014.
· The current World Auction Record For White Jade And Imperial Seal was set by an A Massive Imperial White Jade 'Xintian Zhuren' Seal, Qing Dynasty, Qianlong Period, sold at Sotheby’s Hong Kong for HK$121,620,000 / US$15.59 million on 7 October 2010.
· Saleroom image of Southern Song Guan Vase
· Nicolas Chow, Sotheby’s Asia Deputy Chairman and International Head of Chinese Works of Art presenting the Southern Song Guan Vase that sold for RM 53 million!
· Nicolas Chow, Sotheby’s Asia Deputy Chairman and International Head of Chinese Works of Art presenting the Yongzheng Imperial White Jade Seal that sold for RM 49 million